Tuesday 14 January 2014

Best Albums of 2013


We're already in 2014. And just when you thought you had enough 'best of' and next big thing' here is my belated end of year round-up. These are my four favourite albums of 2013. If you haven't already listened to them, then do it now. If you have listened to them let me know what you think. I'd love to hear if you agree or disagree. It's a pretty narrow list, mostly due to me being a closed-minded hermit. But if you'd like to see what else I listen to visit my last.fm listening profile.


The Wonder Years – The Greatest Generation

I've been aware of these modern pop-punk greats for a while, but I only gave them a proper listen after they were billed for Slam Dunk festival last year. As it transpired I was too busy skanking to King Prawn and The Skints to catch see them live. What a mistake that was! This latest album by them is far and away my favourite album of 2013. As described on the band's twitter, it is realist pop-punk. It has everything you'd expect in a pop-punk masterpiece; anthemic choruses and killer riffs abound. What sets this apart though are the lyrics. Masterfully crafted, they tackle those issues that you rarely hear in popular music, never mind other pop-punk. This is an opera of suburban life from a mature perspective. Growing up, starting a family, being a parent, family history, home and death. These are familiar themes but they are dealt from a unique perspective and delivered with an authenticity and honesty which really reaches the soul and gives me those rare shivers up the neck.





Big D and the Kids Table – Stroll

A return of the masters of ska with not one but two fan-funded kickstarter albums. One for each style; Stomp and Stroll. Both are great, but I've picked Stroll as my number 2 album of 2013. It's just sweet pure awesomeness. These are the most experienced and talented ska musicians around and they show it. Mixing up ska, punk, dub, rock'n'roll and rockabilly, they call the result stroll. For me it's the lyrics and the delivery which stands out, and it is all topped off perfectly by the charm and power of the Doped-Up Dollies on backing vocals. Check out Put It in a Song for some hard-talking modern revolution music.

Listen here:





Paramore – Paramore


Fall Out Boy – Save Rock and Roll

Both these albums are great, but I'm going to be lazy and lump them in together. They are two pop-punk dinosaurs who released a comeback this last year. Both were highly anticipated and both delivered in spades. They both contain huge leaps of development, taking their base sound and adding tons of innovation. Overall they incorporate different elements of pop music both from the past and the present. They also did quite well in the charts and on the radio so I don't need to say much more about them. As a band, it's not easy to reinvent yourself for a new generation while keeping true to the hardcore fans (Just look at Blink-182's comeback fail!). Both of these releases did this perfectly. As a previous fan of both of these artists I'm glad that they've taken things forward, but they haven't lost what made them so good in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment