Monday 4 February 2013

Poetry: Top That

Top That
by Patrick Shortall


Getting out of bed is the biggest achievement of my day
I quickly reach my peak and then slowly fade away

I open up with greatness and I close with infamy
the dark hours of the night, I hit my lows

My energy is wasted simply trying to move my head,
Every time I wake up I think I'd prefer to be dead.

After my great achievement the rest of the day is a waste
My waking days are spent looking for a challenge to replace

The simple joy of starting a day, no longer so simple.
Not even joyous, just anti-climactic, delirious.

Instead of triumph, the hours stretch out in front of me,
Like a range of mountains to be traversed, an eternal fruitless quest.

The goals of life seems trivial when compared with my desire
to diminish the struggle but increase the glory of my morning mire

I strike before the iron is hot, before it's even burning,
I envy that infernal clock, the hands are always turning.

My secret struggle of every day, my life's biggest achievement
If I'm to ever top it, I need to give up

and asleep I stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment