Thursday 13 September 2012

A converstion with myself

Hello World! Or at least hello to the Internet world - a world with only some similarities with reality. This is my blog. It is the location for many future rants and raves, a general dump for those thoughts which overflow from my own brain and soul and mind. I decided to try my hand at this blogging thing to be a little more respectable. At least, to write in a slightly more respectable way. I feel I must move on from adolescent journalling and jotting. Writing has always been very important to me. It was a refuge for me during my teenage years where I whiled away my hours in classrooms trying to create and excuse for the waste of time. I have more recently started to keep diaries and journals for purely personal use. They serve a therapeutic function. I find that I often think too much so this exercise helps to empty out my head. So essentially this will be an extension of that!

Well, I hope to become a little more coherent in this medium. At the same time, I think, I will continue with my loose stream-of-consciousness style. Is that even the right thing to call it? I've struggled to work out what a stream-of-consciousness style really is. I think, that I think too fast and write too slow for it to be possible. But I've come to use the phrase to describe the way I write. I'm happy to be corrected! Despite enjoying reading and deriving a certain pleasure from writing, I have never really found it easy to write for any specified purpose. Academic writing and functional writing have always added to my anxieties. Even a recent foray into writing music reviews was not particularly enjoyable. I still feel that my writing has some potential. So, instead of confining my writing to personal use, I will share it with those who care for it.

This brings me to the second reason that I'm going to write a blog (did I mention how many there would be??). It is a creative outlet. Writing has only been a small part of my ambitions in my struggle to be understood. My first love is music. I have never fully found a way to use music to communicate. Basically, I've got big musical ambitions, but I am very slow to put any plans into action to realise them. For now, this writing will have to do. I will, of course, be writing about music a lot. I'll be sharing some great stuff with you and I might even do some reviews too. And someday I will have my own stuff to put on display! Here's hoping!

There's also a few other reasons why I think keeping a blog is a good idea. I have a lot of political opinions which I rarely find the right forum to air. I also call myself a philosopher sometimes, and I might come up with some good ideas! I'll hopefully be able to articulate these ideas here, and communicate some of them to you.

In two days time I will be on a plane headed for London. So it might be nice for people that I leave behind to check up on me. Although this is not gonna be a silly travel blog.

Those are all the reasons I can think of now. There are many, many more I'm sure. But I've started already so I need no more justification! Now just a little more about what I will write about. It will be a good mix of political and philosophical on the one hand, with plenty of creative and artsy stuff too. I might post some poems, songs, etc. mostly by other people but hopefully some of my own too. With my writing style as it is, there will be a lot of general thoughts and ideas which float around my head.

With all my grand ambitions, I feel like the vast majority of this site will just be a conversation with myself. So welcome to my world!

No comments:

Post a Comment